Forums

Full Version: Mutual dependency - can't install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to install under Ubuntu (specifically, Dapper). When I try to install the main VDrift package, it reports that it needs vdrift-data, but when I try to install vdrift-data, it refuses to install and reports that it needs vdrift! Can someone help me, bearing in mind I'm a Linux n00b?
It sounds like you're trying to install different versions of vdrift and vdrift-data. Where did you get your packages?
I got them from http://vdrift.net/article.php/vdrift-200...ntu-breezy - that's the first result for +ubuntu +vdrift in Google.
Alright, that version is pretty old. You can use the 2006-10-06 version, just download the .deb file from sourceforge on our downloads page. Then, to install it:
Code:
sudo dpkg -i vdrift-data_0.0.2006.10.06-1_all.deb
OK, I've got that installed, now what? (Again, you're dealing with a Linux n00b here Smile )
Now you can run VDrift. There are a few ways to do this. I think that the package adds a menu entry under games, first of all. Second you can press alt+F2 (Run command) and then enter "vdrift" and click OK. This will also run the game. Finally you can run it from a console by opening one and then typing the command
Code:
vdrift
That's it! Smile
When I try that, I get:
Code:
bash: vdrift: command not found

and there's no menu entry.
What do you get if you open a terminal and type "which vdrift"?
There's no output for which vdrift.
cd / ; find . -name vdrift

post the output to that?
hum... are you guys sure this deb file contains the binary, or just the data ?

"locate vdrift" should work under Ubuntu (it's just faster than the find command above)
true, since so much time has passed since it was installed. On most flavors of unix it updates the locate database once a day, so sometimes right after an install, locate won't provide any information.
cotharyus Wrote:true, since so much time has passed since it was installed. On most flavors of unix it updates the locate database once a day, so sometimes right after an install, locate won't provide any information.

Correct. And `which` only works for binaries in your $PATH.

`find / -name vdrift -print` should "find" it.
`find / -name vdrift -print` returns a bunch of listings like this:

Code:
find: /proc/4515/task/4515/fd: Permission denied
find: /proc/4515/fd: Permission denied

and then
Code:
bash: /usr/share/games/vdrift: is a directory
Footix Wrote:`find / -name vdrift -print` returns a bunch of listings like this:

Code:
find: /proc/4515/task/4515/fd: Permission denied
find: /proc/4515/fd: Permission denied

and then
Code:
bash: /usr/share/games/vdrift: is a directory

Ok, so you are doing this as a non-root user. Good job.

Now, I've never installed vdrift under Linux but I'd expect that if you

Code:
cd /usr/share/games/vdrift

and then

Code:
./vdrift &

that'll get you up an running.
Pages: 1 2